The Catty Corner

THIS IS WHERE WE GET TO KEEP IT REAL. MY OPINION IS ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT YOU ARE CERTAINLY ENTITLED TO YOUR WRONG ONE

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Depression and Magic Pills

When I finally get to sit down in front of the television at night, all I want to do is relax and forget about the stresses of the day. I don't want to think about the bills that I'm struggling to pay, the oil leak in my car that I can't afford to fix. I want to leave thoughts of my hated job at work and settle in for a little tube induced relaxation. Instead, I'm inundated with commercials about being depressed, how depression hurts, and how all that can be fixed with a pill. They use people in the commercials that mimic what any of us might do at one time or another. Gazing forlornly out the window, sitting quietly at the dinner table, not feeling like walking the dog. Then, suddenly, the characters pop a pill, the sun comes out again, they walk the dog and go hang out with friends. These commercials give antidepressants an almost magical illusion. Take this pill and live again. Now don't get me wrong. There are legitimate, clinically depressed people out there and these people need help. They have true chemical imbalances. However, suddenly, all my friends are on antidepressants. These are people that have the same issues that we all have. They are caused by external situations, not a chemical imbalance and a pill isn't going to help. Oh sure, you'll feel better when you take it, but, guess what? The problem causing the depression is still there. I think the pills are adding to the problems, because now you can add drug addiction to whatever else ails you. We would be better served to see commercials on stress reducing techniques. Yoga, working out, breathing methods. All tried and true ways to relax. Counseling is another option, talking about your problems and coming to understand the causes. If you understand a problem, it's easier to solve it. Climbing the stairs to good mental health may not be easy, but with effort, you can find the light switch, turn on the light so you can see the stairs and climb up and out of the dark. It's a far cry better than staying tethered in the dark with just the illusion of light, in the form of a pill. By the way, check out my website, www.tellmeeverything.net/homepage and tell me everything!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home